Monday, October 19, 2009

A live surgical operation~

outside the OR.

Today was the first time I could see a live operation.
Our Medical Care teacher, Oleg Konstantinovich invited us to come into the OR and watch some of his surgeries. I am very excited for this opportunity, but am a little worried about the chance that I may faint or puke during the operation. I have seen videos of surgeries at school and have had no problems with them, but I don't know how I'll handle it when I am actually there. But just now everyone was fine, no one faint nor puke during the operation. It is just that I've had some lightheadedness. I couldnt stand too long under the light in that OR. Maybe this fear can only really be overcome with experience.I need to see it more often. InsyaAllah..




Here's some tips I would like to share on how to handle operational-sickness:

1) Get a full night's rest the night before. Eight hours.

2) Eat a good meal. Drink plenty of fluids.

3) Don't get too close to the action in the OR. Hang back. You'll have time to see the incision, etc., before the surgery gets too exciting.

4) If you feel you are about to faint, sit down immediately. Excuse yourself from the OR if needed. I promise you will get no grief from the OR personnel.

5) While standing, don't keep your legs straight for long periods. Discreetly bend your knees, shift your weight, etc. Squeeze your calf muscles in place. This will help return blood from your legs to your heart, and on to your brain. It will help prevent fainting.

6) If you do leave to compose yourself before fainting, I would suggest going back into OR when you are feeling better. Sometimes (like my case) it is just the initial shock and anxiety that cause the lightheadedness. If you can go back in the room and stick with it, you will have overcome your fear. Otherwise, you'll have this fear on your mind until med school.


time histology~